The Whiting Public Library offers public Internet access on select public computers as an information resource to be utilized in the fulfillment of the Library’s mission. The Internet compliments the Library’s existing collections with electronic resources creating a gateway to the World Wide Web. The Library does not have any control over materials that may be inaccurate or controversial in nature. Internet Access is readily available to the public when the Library is open. The computers will shut down ten (10) minutes before the Library closes. Failure to abide by Library policies will result in the loss of Library privileges, including Internet access. Illegal acts will be subject to prosecution by local, state, or federal authorities.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
The Internet connection computers are available on a first come, first served basis.
- The Internet is available in 1 hour time blocks with a current, valid, Whiting Library card in good standing.
- Visitors to the Whiting Public Library may be issued a 30 minute guest pass.
- Children in grades 1 and 2 may use the Library’s computers with parental/guardian supervision
- Children in grades 3 grade or older may use the Internet connection.
- Parents who have concerns regarding Internet content should supervise their children’s Internet session.
- Terminals in the adult department are reserved for patrons aged 18 and older.
- Terminals in the young adult area are reserved for patrons in grades 9 through 12.
- Terminals in the children’s department are reserved for patrons in grades 1 through 8.
- Work One computer rooms are reserved for individuals filing for unemployment, using Work One resources to seek employment, applying for employment, and testing.
- Social Networking sites such as MySpace and Facebook are not allowed in the Children’s Department.
- Printing cost of .10¢ per page must be paid at the circulation desk.
- Individuals wishing to save their work from one of the Library’s workstations must use a flash drive.
- Misuse of the computers or the Internet connection will result in the loss of your Library card and/or Internet privileges.
- Violation of U. S. or state laws. Examples include: obscene, threatening, or harassing materials,
distribution of unsolicited advertising, intentional or unintentional use to commit crimes.
- Violation of copyright laws.
- Attempts to make illicit transactions.
- Malicious use to slander or libel an individual.
- Accessing pornographic materials.
- Attempting to install software on any Library computer or running any program from CD-ROM software, or changing the configuration of preset terminal settings or software.
The Whiting Public Library (WPL) assumes no responsibility for any damages arising from use of its connection to Internet Services, or in the case of minors for their access to graphic or printed materials. Furthermore, WPL assumes no liability for any loss of user’s data or for any injury or damage due to invasion of user’s privacy arising from the use of Library computer resources.
I acknowledge that I have read and understand the Whiting Public Library Computer Internet Policy and this disclaimer.
Reviewed and approved at the Regular Monthly Board Meeting, September 11, 2012; Reviewed and approved at the Regular Monthly Board Meeting, September 10, 2013; Reviewed and approved at the Regular Monthly Board Meeting, September 9, 2014; Reviewed and approved September 8, 2015; Reviewed and approved December 12, 2017; Reviewed and approved September 11, 2018.