The Public School System
If a child graduated from eighth grade in 1896 they had to attend a High School in a neighboring town. But, in 1898, it was decided that eight pupils attending the neighboring schools were sufficient enough to start a local high school. The first superintendent was Mrs. Florence B. Homman, who had previously been a principal and grade school teacher. 1901 had a graduating class of only three members and the year following there was but one graduate. By 1927, Whiting had five schools within its public school system. Superintendent Holliday is quoted as saying, “Whiting was among the first of the schools in the Calumet region to make manual training and domestic art a part of the course of study. There is little doubt that manual training has kept many boys in school.” In 1923 a new Junior High School building, which adjoined the McGregor building, the primary building, the old auditorium, and the high school on Oliver Street, was completed. The cost of this building was $450,000. According to the 1924 Reflector, “It (Junior High School Building) was equipped with a large gymnasium, swimming pool, and large auditorium with a well appointed stage, in addition to the class rooms. In addition to these school buildings, a handsome grade building has been erected in Wilcox, a subdivision in the south part of the city. It is a very modern structure with eight class rooms, a large auditorium, and ample playground space.” Today, the School City of Whiting consists of a primary building, a middle school, and the high school. In 1994 a brand new athletic-administration complex was dedicated. The site consists of a football field, softball diamond, administration offices, and two classrooms, one for children in kindergarten and one for preschool students.